News and Announcements:
- Vala Fathipour received URA Visiting Scholars award to work in the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory on Large area ASICs for readout of pixellated sensors (Apr 2014)
- Vala Fathipour was awarded the Ryan Fellowship for research in nanotechnology. (Jun 2013)
- Alireza Bonakdar won the NSF Support Award for attending the IEEE Summer Topicals at Hawaii. (Jun 2013)
- Alireza Bonakdar won the second place in the EECS Graduate Student Poster Fair 2013. (Feb 2013)
- The Bio-Inspired Sensors and Optoelectronics Lab was featured in the article “Modeled on the Human Eye” in the McCormick Magazine (Nov 2012)
- Our collaborative research with the groups of Professors Lin X. Chen, Fraser Stoddart, and Samuel I. Stupp is accepted for immediate publication in the Nature Journal. (Jun 2012)
- Dibyendu Dey won the "Best PhD Dissertation" award from the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department. Dey is the second – out of the last three PhD graduates from BISOL – who achieves this recognition. (June 2012)
- Omer Gokalp Memis was awarded "Outstanding Research
2011" by the International
Institute of Nanotechnology. (Oct 2011)
- Dibyendu Dey won the "Terminal Year
the Northwestern University. (Aug 2011)
- Ryan Gelfand and Dibyendu Dey are awarded the SPIE Scholarship.
- Alejandro Sklar has been awarded “EECS
Undergraduate Research Grant” by the Dept. of Electrical
Engineering and Computer Science at the Northwestern University. (Apr
- BISOL has publised an article, “Towards an Integrated
Plasmonic Biosensor” in the OPN - Optics and Photonics News
journal of the Optical Society of America. (Mar 2011)
- Ryan Gelfand and Dibyendu Dey are the first
and second place winners of the EECS Graduate Student Poster
- Photonics Spectra has featered a news article: “Tiny
antennas squeeze light for better biosensors”. (Nov 2010)
- “Quantum-cascade laser integrated with a
metal–dielectric–metal-based plasmonic antenna”
by D. Dey et. al. was selected for the Oct 22nd, 2010 issue of the
Virtual Journal of
Biomedical Optics by the Optical Society of America. (Oct 2010)
- Laser Focus World has featered a news article about
“Plasmonic antenna on QCL facet creates
molecular sensor”. (Oct 2010)
- “LWIR plasmonic detector has breakthrough
and quantum efficiency” has been featured in the Laser Focus
World. (Sept 2010)
- “Superlens lithography for nanofabrication”
has been featured in the NanoWerk News. (Sept 2010)
- NanoWerk News reports on the “Novel electrical confinement method
quantum dots based on quantum well”. (Sept 2010)
- Wei Wu was awarded the "Best Student Paper"
out of 136 candidates in 2010 SPIE Optic and Photonics conference.
- Wei Wu won the "Terminal Year Fellowship"from
Northwestern University. (Sept 2010)
- Ryan M. Gelfand won the "ACEC Scholarship"
the American Counsel of Engineering Companies. (June 2010)
- Omer Gokalp Memis won "Best PhD Dissertation"
award from the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department.
- Ryan M. Gelfand won "Most Outstanding
Presentation" award at the Nano Biophotonics Summer School
Beckman Institute. (June 2010)
- Older news here.
northwestern dot edu
The Bio-inspired Sensors and Optoelectronics
Lab (BISOL) has a general goal of producing novel photonics and
inspired by nature. Current research is focused on infrared detectors
and vision systems, nano-scale lasers, visible to terahertz plasmonics,
and novel nano-processing. We explore
physics of nano-scale dimensions to realize novel devices that could
revolutionize many medical, commercial, and security applications.
The word cloud of
the titles of
our publications in 2010-2011.